Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Dutchess & The Duke

Due to all the festivals and other matters, I haven't been able to tell you about The Dutchess & The Duke. Hopefully you spied them on other blogs but if not you're in for a treat.
I first heard Reservoir Park from some blog (I can't remember which...) and instantly fell for it. It possesses a quality that harks back to Dylan, The Velvet Underground, 60s pop songs... You get the picture. There's something in the vocals; a grainy clarity, if that makes sense, which I rarely heard in modern music. The production, the melody, the harmonies all contain nostalgic nods to those revered 60s musicians, I wouldn't have been surprised if the band had invented a Wellsian time machine to transport them back to 1965 to record their album She's The Dutchess, He's The Duke as it sounds so much of that time.
I know I'm labouring the point but this track really does feel refreshingly old for new music, in a very good way.
I'll shut up now and let you listen.

The Dutchess & The Duke - Reservoir Park


You can get She's The Dutchess, He's The Duke direct from Hardly Art Records.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home